This Garmin Map Updates teaches you how to update your Garmin Nuvi GPS using a Windows or Mac computer. You can update the Garmin Nuvi the official way by downloading and using a free program called Garmin Express, or you can install community-created maps from an unaffiliated website.
Step 1 :
Open the Garmin Express website. Go to https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/ in your computer’s browser.
Step 2 :
Click Download for Windows. It’s a blue button in the middle of the page. Doing so will prompt the Garmin Express setup file to begin downloading onto your computer. If installing Garmin Express on a Mac, you’ll click Download for Mac instead.
Some browsers will mark the Garmin download page as an unsafe location. This is a false flag; the Garmin Express installation file does not contain a virus.
Step 3 :
Install Garmin Express. To do so:
Windows – Double-click the setup file, follow any prompts to the “Install” page, check the “I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions” box, click Install, and click Yes when prompted.
Mac – Open the Garmin Express DMG file, verify the software if necessary, click and drag the Garmin Nuvi app icon onto the “Applications” folder icon, and follow any prompts.
Step 4 :
Attach your Garmin Nuvi to your computer. Plug one end of the Garmin Nuvi’s charging cable (usually the smaller end) into the Garmin Nuvi unit, then plug the USB end into one of your computer’s USB ports.
On a Mac, you may need a USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt adapter in order to do this.
Step 5 :
Open Garmin Express. Double-click the app icon to do so.
Step 6 :
Click Get Started. It’s a blue button near the top of the Garmin Express window.
Step 7 :
Click Add a Device. This large “＋” icon is in the upper-left side of the window.
Step 8 :
Click Add Device when prompted. This will begin the Garmin Nuvi setup process.
Step 9 :
Complete the setup. Follow any on-screen instructions to finish setting up your Garmin Nuvi and open the dashboard.
The dashboard is the page with the house-shaped icon in the upper-left corner.
Step 10 :
Click Install All. It’s at the top of the window. The Garmin Nuvi will begin updating.
Step 11 :
Wait for your Garmin Nuvi to finish installing updates. It can take several hours for all of the Garmin Nuvi’s updates to install. Once the installation is complete, you can disconnect safely the Garmin Nuvi.
You can re-update the Garmin Nuvi at any time by opening Garmin Express, clicking the house-shaped tab, selecting your Garmin Nuvi, and clicking Install All.
Firstly Understand how the process works. The Open Street Map project is a known site which is driven by company so that the hosts information & the maps regarding places all over the world. One can easily download and install these maps on their Garmin Nuvi if Garmin Express doesn’t help you.
- Download maps as a .img file. Now you need to rename the downloaded file to gmapsupp.img if it has a been saved with a different name.
- One can usually have only one custom gmapsupp.img file on his GPS or Garmin at a time, though all the new Garmin devices allows multiple .img files.
To Download a free map image file. Follow:
- Visit https://planet.openstreetmap.org/ in your browser.
- Then click one of the Complete links below the “Complete OSM Data” heading.
- Wait for the file to get downloaded on your computer.
Plug your Garmin Nuvi into your computer using the USB cable provided with the Garmin at the time of purchase. Generally, the smaller end of the cable will plug into the Garmin Nuvi, while the USB end will plug into one of your computer’s USB ports.
- You can close Garmin Express if you have it installed.
- If your Garmin has an SD card, remove the SD card and then insert it into your computer’s card reader instead.
Put your Garmin Nuvi into “USB Mass Storage” mode. Now you can copy files to and from the GPS/Garmin. While new Garmin devices starts automatically in USB Mass Storage mode when they are connected to the computer.
- Open the Nuvi’s main menu.
- Select Setup (or similar).
- Select Interface
- Select USB Mass Storage or USB
Now open the Garmin’s storage on your computer. & Follow:
- In Windows – Press ⊞ Win+E to open File Explorer, click on This PC in the upper-left corner of the window, and then double-click the Garmin Nuvi’s name below the “Devices and drives” heading.
- In Mac – The Garmin Nuvi’s name should appear on the desktop. If it doesn’t, open Finder and then click the Garmin Nuvi’s name on the left side of the window.
Open the “Garmin” or “Map” folder. This folder’s location may vary depending on your mode, but if you can’t find it anywhere, create a new folder and name it Map.
- You will most commonly have to create a folder in Nuvi 1xxx models.
Copy all downloaded map file and paste it into the “Map” or “Garmin” named folder you just created. Click on the file once to select it, after that just press Ctrl+C (Windows) or ⌘ Command+C (Mac), click once inside of the folder, and press Ctrl+V (Windows) or ⌘ Command+V (Mac).
- The copying process may take upto hours depending on the size of the file which is downloaded.
Load the new maps on your Garmin just after it reboots. Your Garmin will soon reboot after it is disconnected. Once it finishes booting, you’ll need to select your new map and disable the base map if the two overlap.
- Open the “Tools” menu and select Settings
- Select Map and then select Map Info
- Uncheck your old map’s box.
- Check your new map’s box.